Monday, January 10, 2011

I hereby resolve....

So I typically don't make resolutions. Through a long process of self-discovery, I have realized that as soon as I make a resolution, I break it. Not because I want to, as my intentions are usually pretty good. I think it is more about the things that I want to accomplish the most, I do anyway - and putting them to paper seems to somehow mean that I can rest on my laurels as I have resolved to do something - and so I don't really have to do it. (If this makes sense in any sort of convoluted way, please let me know!)

This year, however, I have decided to make them again - but make them with a goal in mind - so they are not really resolutions, but more steps towards accomplishments that I want to do anyway.
So here I go:

In 2011 I resolve:

1. To reduce the pile of books by my bedside by 50% (currently numbers somewhere in the 45 - 60 range). Why I have that many, I am not sure - it's not like the book is going to disappear the second I don't buy it (well, except for second-hand books, because someone might just snatch that bargain away from under my nose if I am not careful!) And besides - there will be less to dust....

2. Which brings me to my next resolution. To try and tidy just a BIT more often. My house generally looks like a bomb has gone off - between 2 boys still at home and lots of things to distract me AND the fact that I don't really like housework, things like dusting and vacumning never get done. I don't want to go overboard - I like a house that looks lived in and inviting - but I think the laundry on the dining room table (for 2 weeks at a time) could go. And in case any of my children are reading this? You get to be part of this too!! (Sharing is part of any good resolution strategy.)

3. To take more baths. Which will help with resolution # 1. If I don't fall asleep in the tub. Which I do. Alot.

4. Get to bed earlier. Sleep "that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care". Besides being good for me, I think it might help my productivity and my running. And maybe my weight (but I am not counting on it). Besides, sometimes I am just plain tired.

5. Knit more, instead of wasting my time playing Plants vs. Zombies. You wouldn't think a non-violence sort of person like me would like a game like that, but I do. Perhaps it relieves some latent hostility I have towards gardening. (By the way,I don't think I have latent hostility - but the zombies win more than the plants, so perhaps I need to explore that.)

6. Try (really hard) not to buy more wool. OK - why am I even writing that? Maybe I should say - only buy wool that speaks deeply to me and begs to be knit into beautiful things.

7. Stop biting my tongue so much. I think I always want to be seen as the good person - which means I often swallow my opinion instead of speaking my mind. Then I mutter (alot) under my breath. In the interests of preserving my tongue, I am going to let some of those thoughts out. I will still be nice - just a little more candid.

8. Post blogs twice a week. Just trying to set an example for my daughter - if she is reading this.....

I think that's enough. If I can achieve these 8 and feel satisfied, then it will be a good year.

Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment